The UK is the first country to introduce age verification laws for all adult content websites. The plan, initially announced in in July…
How To Update Your Compliance RulesPosted on January 30, 2018 by TrafficStars
Everyone is talking about Google’s Better Ads Experience Program and how it will affect publishers and advertisers. TrafficStars has you covered. In this post, you’ll find exactly what you need to know about the Better Ads Experience Program and what you need to do to update your compliance rules.
Due to negative user experiences caused by “abusive experiences” online, more and more users are downloading ad blocking technology, which hurts the ecosystem for everyone. Thus The Coalition for Better Ads was formed to combat these experiences which they believe to have led to this increase in ad blocking.
Ad blockers are becoming an increasing issue for all of us in the industry, with technology becoming more advanced, and user numbers downloading such technology increasing daily. Google is trying to stabilise this shift in the marketplace by accepting that there is mistrust causing users to download such software, and as such are trying create a fair, level playing field with clear guidelines on how we can all work towards regaining this trust, industry wide.
We’ve put together a short guide to help you update your compliance rules and serve better, compliant ads in your website and keep your earnings flowing smoothly.
Our ad serving technology is available to all publishers and is easy to use. Here is exactly what you need to do to prevent “misleading” banner ads from being served on your site and remain fully compliant with Google’s “misleading ads” policy.
(Updated March 22nd)
Now it’s even easier to update your Compliance preferences to comply with Google’s advertising standards!
All you have to do is click one button! Select “Google Friendly Creatives Only” under your Ad Spot rules and all rules which we have interpreted as not being compliant with the new standards of Google will be removed from the ad spot.
The rules represent the type of ads you want on your website. By default all rules are selected when you create a new ad spot in our system. By unticking a box, ads which fit that description will not be displayed on your website.
- Log into your publisher account
- Click on Manage Ad Spots from the drop down menu.
- Click on the blue Edit button next to the ad spot you want to edit
- Here you will find a list of rules which you can tick and untick depending on what types of ads you want to be displayed on your site. To remain compliant, select “Google Friendly Creatives Only”. By doing that, the following elements will be removed:
MISLEADING ELEMENTS (everything except for animated / rotating / video / site mimicking should be removed)
- Drop down menus or check boxes
- Microsoft Windows Fake Elements
- Fake Disclaimer
- Fake video players
- Fake play button
- Fake Download Button
- Fake Software update
- Exit Button (as this refers to “fake” exit button)
- Closing Button (as this refers to “fake” closing button)
- Fake calls/messages/notifications
- Features that do not work
LOW AD QUALITY(“Aggressive flashing” should be removed)
- “Aggressive Flashing” – Ads that animate and “flash” with rapidly changing background and colours
Unticking these boxes will prevent ads containing any of the above flags which we have identified as not complying with Google’s regulations from being displayed on your site.
If you have any doubts when updating your ad spots, do not hesitate to contact your account manager or our support team!
|Want to receive tutorials like this directly in your inbox?|